[izpack-devel] Using Perl Scripts For CGI In Install URL

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Sat Apr 29 06:09:29 CEST 2006

In the next few days, I'll be finishing setting up the web part of the
installer for my program.  Since I want my clients to be able to
download the software and not others, I'm encrypting the packs (which
is something I'll be including later, after Fabrice gets back and we
post the SimpleConfig classes we've been working on).  I also don't
want anyone to be able to easily link to the packs the installer needs.

Has anyone else ever included a Perl program and parameters in the
<webdir> element?  I was going to add the client's name and password to
the URL and have it connect with HTTPS so the password is not revealed.
Basically, the webdir URL would look like this:

https://mysite.com/perl/install.pl?user=username&password=passwd&pack=

The idea is that when IzPack asks for a pack, the file name will end up
being placed at the end of the parameters and look like a parameter
itself, so the Perl CGI script can verify the username and password
before sending the pack back to the user for install.

Since this is a bit unusual, from what I've seen, I wanted to ask if
anyone had done this with IzPack and if there were hidden traps they
might have found.  I figure by using this, I ask my user for the
username and password only once, they download the initial jar file to
run, and the jar file itself will have the url, with the username and
password included within.

Thanks for any information or experiences if anyone has done anything
like this.

Hal