[izpack-devel] Starting a discussion about logging

Zycor.net Development Solutions airhead at webmail.co.za
Mon Aug 28 13:54:53 CEST 2006

> IIRC, IzPack still supports Java 1.2. Therefore we cannot introduce 1.4
> depencies.

Might not be the right way to go, but something to consider:  What if we
use java.util.Logging from 1.4/1.5 and just compile an external jar with
those classes for distribution with earlier version of JDK if it is
used? That way, when IZPack eventually moves to a v1.4 requirement, we
are already using the built in logging.

I know this is possibly over complicating things, and I don't know if
the JRE license will allow that, But I really prefer the idea of having
sun do the development / support of the logging and not reinventing he
wheel.

>> - Or to implentend and integrate a self-implemented and lightweight solution
>> maybe as derived a solution of the current Debug-Class.
>>

> First, I'd like to build a feature list. What are the requirements? What
> do we want to log?

I do agree that we need a list of requirements before we can make a
choice. Personally I don't use logging, and I don't see myself using it
any time soon, so I'm afraid I can't really help with that.