[izpack-devel] Need a bit of info on the Mac

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Tue Jan 10 23:29:27 CET 2006

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 04:59 pm, Julien Ponge wrote:
> > So are there cases of installs where IzPack has to be done through
> > sudo or as
> > an admin user?
>
> /Applications is users-writable, so typical installations run fine as
> a regular user and you don't need to sudo the JVM. However for
> special cases you can need this. There was also a contributed SudoPanel.

I looked at that.  I need something slightly different.  For installing my
app, I was writing a panel that would see if the user was root on Linux or
Administrator on Windows.  The the user was one of these, the panel would
never show.  Otherwise it would show up with a message like, "This program
must be installed as root.  Please exit and run again as root."  (or
s/root/Administrator/g if you're on Windows)

As long as I needed it, I thought I'd see if it would be easy to make it work
on a Mac as well and make it for everyone.

Hal