[izpack-devel] Running IzPack with VM 1.5 without SigSegV

Bartz, Klaus Klaus.Bartz at coi.de
Mon Jun 19 12:10:04 CEST 2006

Hi,
all user of IzPack knows, that there are problems
with a 1.5 (also known as 5.0) VM if there are
native parts in the installation.
Up to know we recommend not to use the 1.5 VM.
Now I have to use this version with our product.
It is ugly if the 1.5 should not be used for the
installation but has to be used for the application.

Therefore I have looked a little bit into the code
and tested something.
With a panel which uses some native classes
(ShellLink and Registry) and calls parent.exit() in
panelActivate I can reproduce all times a
segmentation violation.
If I comment out the FreeThread stuff in Librarian no
crash occurs.
But then the dlls are not removed.
I have made a class which creates a new process which
waites a little bit that the major process can stop
and deletes than the dlls. It's stolen from
Chadwick McHenry's SelfModifier for uninstallation :-)
Works fine for installation, uninstall not testet yet.
I hope this will fix the problem, but I am not safe that
it is the only problem with 1.5. Better one step as
no step...

I will check in it soon. Where? trunk?

Or are any comments which do not allow it?

Cheers

Klaus