[izpack-devel] Regular vs. Registry Enabled

miraodb miraodb at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 23:22:05 CET 2006

Hi klaus,

>More dynamic can be the ussage of the class RegistryDefaultHandler; an
>example
> in CheckedHelloPanel.

Right, tried that one and worked perfectly.

> It is possible to manage NT Services via the registry, but it is
> not the best way.
> The NT Service Control Manager uses the registry as data base. But changes
> will be valid only after reboot.
> The documented way is via NT Service Control Manager e.g. OpenSCManager,
> CreateService and so on. The problem is, that a C program (or
> a JNI DLL) will be needed.
> If you use the registry, e.g. one question is how to delete a running
> service at uninstall time?

Once again, this is so true !
I did try many times to work around those services issues but couldn't end
up with anything else good than a C++ program. I did create an exe for that
matter as well as one for killing processes depending on their children and
parents.
I can tell you one thing though, that wasn't the most enjoyable thing to do
! I simply hate that microsoft service api...
Anyhow, just a matter of taste....

BTW, it's good to se you again ! Wishing you the best man !

Cheers,
fabrice