[izpack-devel] Question regarding langpack / PrinterSelectPanel

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Wed Mar 29 23:27:22 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 16:17, Hans Aikema wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> >On Wednesday 29 March 2006 15:44, Hans Aikema wrote:
> >>While in the process of updating the dutch langpack I encountered
> >> the newly introduced PrinterSelectPanel.select_printer string.
> >> However the text in the English langpack isn't clear to me
> >> ("Select the printer to use for initial setup and testing."). I
> >> would have expected the text to simply read "Select the printer."
> >> or something like that.
> >>
> >>Can anyone clarify to me why there is the additional "to use for
> >>initial setup and testing"?
> >
> >It's probably my fault on that.  My thinking was that most
> > applications that need settings like that changed or edited will
> > have some kind of control or preferences panel to select the
> > printer, and would often allow the printer to be set later.
>
> In that case I think 'Select the default printer for <application
> name>' might be a better description for the combobox of available
> printers? That would lead to a langpack-text of "Select the default
> printer for ", having the PrinterSelectPanel adding the application
> name from the installerdata.

The problem with that is the panel needs text in IzPack, but the
developer can use the printer for anything.  The idea was to keep the
wording broad enough so it didn't force the developer to use the
printer for only one purpose.  It is possible to create a custom
language pack, though, and I believe (ask a developer for sure) that
any string you put in the custom lang pack for
SelectPrinterPanel.select_printer should override what is there.

There's also the chance, if the newer version is adopted, that this text
could be changed to work with the changes.

Hal