[izpack-devel] Linux Shortcuts and Panel Updates for 3.9

Marc Eppelmann marc.eppelmann at gmx.de
Tue Sep 12 23:22:42 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Desktop Shortcut Creation as root for all local and yellow page Users works
now correctly :-)
The root user creates the shortcut.desktop on the users Desktops - even
if 'himself" has no permission to look into, nor write in the users "Desktop"
folder - as root itself.
==================================

The previous implementation did not work as expected.
The handling of the common templateShortcut file in the users-loop was wrong.

Now the double-loop works as described below in strong simplified and
pythonsyntax :)

for shortcut in shortcuts:
  templateShortcut.create()
  for user in users:
    rootScript.appendCopyLine( templateShortcut, user's.Deskop-file )
    rootScript.appenChownLine( user, user's.Deskop-file )
    UnInstallScript.appendRemoveLine( user, user's.Deskop-file )
  rootScript.appendRemoveLine( templateShortcut ) !
execPostAction()

def execPostAction()
  exec( RootScript )

Important Note:
Depend on the amount of defined Desktop Shortcuts and the count of local or
yellowpage-binded users - the creation of the Shortcuts can take several
seconds (30-40 or more). (The Installer seems to be hang - But 'he' returns
and with all work done :) I will search for another optimization possibility.
I think maybe symlinks can be solve this, but in the next Version ;-) -
because this needs a complete rework.

Cheers
Marc