[izpack-devel] Langpacks as properties files

Julien Ponge julien.ponge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 17:37:23 CEST 2007

> 1.
> I vote to remove the old stuff (files like eng.xml)
> fully and support only properties files beginning with the
> next medium relase(3.11).
> The standard langpacks we (I) can convert. Custom langpacks
> have to be converted by the install builder with the given
> converter.

I second a move to make use of ResourceBundle. I was going to
investigate a Ruby converter from XML to properties files, so that's
ok for me if you take the initiatives here :-)

> 2.
> I vote to make the bad langpacks public in the user email
> list and remove them in the next medium release (3.11),
> if they are not corrected.

My take is that we should rather keep thoses files. Indeed, when a
string is missing, it shows up in the installers with the keys.
Testers can spot this and they can then edit the translations to fix
this.

If we remove the incomplete translations completely, people may be
less enclined to perform the full translation and send it back to us.
If there are only a few missing strings, it becomes much more easier
:-)

We should do that yet inform the users which translations are
incomplete so that they are aware of this. This may even entice
potential contributors if this is clearly stated.

What do you think?