[izpack-devel] "pseudo" bug with shortcuts

Julien ciryus432 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:32:30 CET 2007

Hi all,

I recently started to use IzPack (both the stable and last beta) for a
project I'm working on. I've been trying to add the shortcut panel for a
while, and I had issues. Each time the installer would get to that part,
it would freeze.

I spent some time on it, and finally tracked it down. In
Unix_shortcut.java, at the very top, there is a static call to:

   private static ArrayList users =
UnixUsers.getUsersWithValidShellsExistingHomesAndDesktops();

The problem is that I work on a Linux machine where all accounts are
NFS+NIS, and there are several THOUSANDS accounts. So when this method
is called, it checks that every directory exists, which of course is
done over the network, and takes eons to do (at least way to long).

For the time being, I'll make a dirty fix, since I don't need that list
of users. I'm not sure how this issue can be resolved in a clean way
since it's not really a bug per se, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Also the jGoodies "looks" style was much nicer in the stable version
than in the last beta, but well, that's just me ;)

Otherwise, IzPack rocks!