[izpack-devel] Applying for GSoC?

Tino Schwarze berlios.de at tisc.de
Tue Feb 27 10:55:23 CET 2007

Hi there,

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:49:28AM +0100, Julien Ponge wrote:

> > What is the state of a CLI interface for Unix systems with no GUI? I saw
> > mention of this, but when I looked could find no information. This would
> > be valuable for applications to be installed in a Unix server
> > environment with no GUI interface.
>
> You can run IzPack in automated headless mode, but there is indeed not
> 'plain text gui'.

A plain text GUI is a pretty though project. Either you get a very
simple line-based interface or you need to stick to some native
libraries for proper terminal support. Java was just not designed for
this.

I researched this some time ago for our open-EIS management tools and
then stuck to line-based interface only (which is pretty cumbersome in
some places like multi-select boxes). But IIRC there are some
swing-wrappers which provide text-mode GUIs.

HTH,

Tino.

--
www.quantenfeuerwerk.de
www.spiritualdesign-chemnitz.de

Tino Schwarze * Parkstraße 17h * 09120 Chemnitz