[izpack-devel] Drop 1.4 compatibility?

Tino Schwarze berlios.de at tisc.de
Mon Feb 4 09:49:52 CET 2008

Hi there,

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:31:16AM +0100, Markus Schlegel wrote:

> I'm fine with that.

> > I've been thinking about it for a while: what if we dropped 1.4
> > compatibility in the next releases?
> >
> > We could still use Retroweaver to produce a 1.4-compatible version
> > (http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/)
> >
> > The thing is that I'm pretty sure that some panels require Java 5...
> > and those things are hard to track!
> >
> > What do you think?

I don't think we should drop 1.4 yet. Even though Java 6 is already
there, I suppose there's a lot of 1.4 still around, especially in server
environments. There are even platforms where there is not 1.5 available
yet.

It's not too hard to find Java 1.5 dependencies - just install a 1.4
JDK, use it for compiling and running the installer. It's easy to do in
Eclipse - just configure another JRE and set this as the project's JRE.

Bye,

Tino.

--
www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.spiritualdesign-chemnitz.de

Tino Schwarze * Lortzingstraße 21 * 09119 Chemnitz