[izpack-users] Automated installation with custom panels

cmcclain cmcclain at enterasys.com
Thu Jul 6 22:47:41 CEST 2006

Greetings,

  As a brief introduction, I am a software engineer with Enterasys Networks
working on migrating our application's existing installation process from
InstallAnywhere to IZPack.  As part of that process, I have implemented
several custom panels to handle such things as a checkbox panel to
selectively enable services and a license check panel that validates whether
a user is authorized to install our application.  For the most part, adding
these custom panels has been fairly easy and has functioned as expected.

  Now, however, I am attempting to use the Automated Installation
functionality and am unable to get my custom panels to export the
appropriate data to the XML file.  Using my LicenseCheckPanel and IZPack's
TargetPanel source code as an example, I added a public void makeXMLData
method to my LicenseCheckPanel that forwards the AutomatedInstallData and
XMLElement objects to a helper class called
LicenseCheckPanelAutomationHelper.  This class implements the
PanelAutomation interface and its makeXMLData method contains code which is
supposed to add a sub-element to the LicenseCheckPanel's node in the XML
file.

  Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the makeXMLData method in my
LicenseCheckPanel is ever called.  The exported XML file contains an element
for the panel, but the sub-element called "licenseKey" is not present nor do
I see any of my debug output from my makeXMLData method in the install log.
So, my question is largely what steps do I need to follow to make sure my
data gets exported to the XML file?  I have noticed that some of the IZPack
classes differ in their implementations for makeXMLData, so perhaps the
method I have chosen is not correct.  In any event, the relevant code
segments follow and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

- Chris