[izpack-users] JDKPathPanel is not getting skipped !!

Bartz, Klaus Klaus.Bartz at coi.de
Tue May 2 13:04:31 CEST 2006

Hi Sagar,
that's the live of Windows ...
I do not really know at what time Windows uses what key in the registry to determine something,
on my box a "double click" triggers the reading of following key and values (I have made a .reg file from
it):
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jar\OpenWithList]
"a"="Filzip.exe"
"MRUList"="dcba"
"b"="iexplore.exe"
"c"="javaw.exe"
"d"="winzip32.exe"

I assume, that the explorer tries the programs in the given order (dcba) to open the jar file. Yes, a double
click opens a jar file with winzip on my box; that's what I have configured.
It is possible that there will be also written a path to an other VM at that place, or the explorer do first use
an other value for paths. Locking for it with a registry monitor you can see, that there are access operations
to the registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\winzip32.exe\shell\open\command
The default value of this key contains the path...
Lock into your registry at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\javaw.exe\shell\open\command
Often it is the path to the last installed JRE, not the JDK...

Result is, that there is no solution with the existent JDKPathPanel to use the right VM
(the VM which is in a subdir of the JDK you would use) at double clicking.

Double click is sometimes problematically. I have had more than one disputes about a wrong VM used
by double click. Most people means that the explorer uses the environment variable path. That's
really not the case.

At developing that panel I had thought about this problem. One way will be to look into the registry
under Suns keys to determine the right JDK. But this was at developing time not possible because
the registry stuff was added later.
And then the panel will only be useable if registry stuff is activated. That's not what I would require.

Cheers

Klaus