[izpack-users] Questions on getting up and running with Izpack

Paul Taylor paul_t100 at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 5 12:33:54 CET 2007

Hi

FYI Ive fixed the problem after alot of hair pulling, running the
installer with debugging

    java -DTRACE=true -DSTACKTRACE=true -jar install.jar

gave this output:

Current Panel: UNKNOWN
can show panel with id UNKNOWN ?
no condition, show panel
could not read shortcut spec!
net.n3.nanoxml.XMLParseException: Expected: delimited string,
SystemID='file:.', Line=13
        at net.n3.nanoxml.XMLUtil.errorExpectedInput(XMLUtil.java:427)
        at net.n3.nanoxml.XMLUtil.scanString(XMLUtil.java:209)
        at
net.n3.nanoxml.StdXMLParser.processAttribute(StdXMLParser.java:539)
        at net.n3.nanoxml.StdXMLParser.processElement(StdXMLParser.java:429)
        at net.n3.nanoxml.StdXMLParser.scanSomeTag(StdXMLParser.java:261)
        at net.n3.nanoxml.StdXMLParser.processElement(StdXMLParser.java:508)
        at net.n3.nanoxml.StdXMLParser.scanSomeTag(StdXMLParser.java:261)
        at net.n3.nanoxml.StdXMLParser.scanData(StdXMLParser.java:221)
        at net.n3.nanoxml.StdXMLParser.parse(StdXMLParser.java:194)
        at
com.izforge.izpack.panels.ShortcutPanel.readShortcutSpec(ShortcutPanel.java:799)
        at
com.izforge.izpack.panels.ShortcutPanel.panelActivate(ShortcutPanel.java:597)
        at
com.izforge.izpack.installer.InstallerFrame.switchPanel(InstallerFrame.java:823)

showing that it was in fact trying to show the Shortcut Panel , and had
problem with the shortcut file

turns out my file was misisng a " in the xml I had programGroup=yes"
instaead of programGroup="yes", so it was my mistake but could be good
if izpack could have detected
this problem at build time, the best method would be by adding an xsd
(xml schema definition) that it would validated against at build time.

Paul