[izpack-devel] Need a bit of info on the Mac

Pierre Frisch pierre.frisch at spearway.com
Tue Jan 10 23:26:39 CET 2006

No That is false and that is a function that is sorely missing in
izPack on the Mac.

If you are using Apple installer there is a function to request
authentication so that the user can enter his credentials. This is
driven by the install script. If you are developing in C, C++ or ObjC
and need admin privilege there is a framework the program needs to
call; the system will then request authentication from the user by
whatever policy rule is in place for the system and return the result
to the calling program. This is very good solution as only the
required program is authenticated and only for the duration of the
required operation. The user does not need to be logged as root and
it only need to be listed in the sudoer root does not need to be
enabled on the machine.

I did a JNI implementation of this 4 years ago on MacOSX 10.0. A
little bit of Google gave me a more recent implementation still as
JNI and not more recent that 10.2.3: http://www.amug.org/~glguerin/sw/
authkit/overview.html

I have not worked on this in any recent version of Java/MacOSX
although I would be interested as I have a project that may benefit
form this. In Java 1.4 there is an API for authentication that I
think could be used to achieve the necessary result. I think we
should take a cross platform approach to this. How does this work on
Linux and Windows? Can you install with a non root account system
files? Would that be valuable or is it only MacOSX people that are
used to be able to do that?

Pierre