[izpack-devel] Need a bit of info on the Mac

Pierre Frisch pierre.frisch at spearway.com
Wed Jan 11 00:57:07 CET 2006

I have looked at it this will not do.

This panel has quite a few short comings:

It relies on a common but not universal behavior of sudo. When you
execute a sudo command the "user" will stay authenticated for a
period of time. So the way it works is by executing a dummy sudo
command in an external shell and relying on the fact that this will
keep the installer authenticated. This works on most stand alone
installation but that security policy can be changed and is
frequently changed when you are installing on a system that is part
or a larger organization.

I am also a bit troubled by the fact that all localization features
of that panel are commented out? Does anyone uses it?

I do not have a ready made solution to this problem but I think we
should come up with a better approach. The alternative is to ask the
user to execute the installer with a sudo:
sudo java -jar xxx.jar. That way the actual installation process is
authenticated. The drawback is that we loose the graphical user
experience. On a Mac you can double click the installer and it will
run but with user privileges, if we can find away of escalating the
privileges that would be nice. What I have seen done, is a two stage
system; a first process launches, request admin privileges and then
launches the real installer with the admin privileges
(InstallAnywhere works that way). This can be fairly transparent to
the user.

I would be very interested in working on that problem but we need to
find a consistent way that would work on all platforms.

Pierre