[izpack-devel] IzPanel Layout

Elmar Grom elmar at grom.net
Fri Jul 14 17:45:28 CEST 2006

Klaus,

a couple of things.

1) Layout Manager

Since you mention the use of GridBagLayout, I might be able to support you
in this quest. If you managed to ever make GridBagLayout work for a layout,
more power to you. I don't consider myself a dimwit but I never managed to
make use of it in any productive way.

Anyway, I found that a layout manager of the type grid layout if quite often
what is called for. Unfortunately neither GridLayout nor GridBagLayout
really work for most real world cases. Well GridBagLayout might, but setting
up all the constraints is so complicated and takes so much code that one
might just as well go ahead and write an entire layout manger. One day I got
so fed up by this problem that I wrote a layout manager that did exactly
what I thought GridLayout should do in the first place to be really useful.
I call it TableLayout, because it produces a layout just like an HTML table.
This means that components are laid out in rows and columns, just as in
GridLayout but each row is just as tall as it needs to be and all columns
are just as wide as they need to be. This means it can also be used as a
FlowLayout and as a *vertical* form of FlowLayout. It would also be able to
replace the ColumnLayout that I had written for the UnserInputPanel.

If you think this layout could help solving your issue, or might be useful
as a starting point, I would be willing to contribute it to the project.

2) Docu

No problem with that. Again, I know that a lot of folks have a real hurdle
to overcome on this point. Just please care enough to send Fabrice the info,
so that he can take care of it. And as I mentioned in me mail, I am willing
to help with writing text as well.

	Elmar