[izpack-devel] IzPanel Layout

Bartz, Klaus Klaus.Bartz at coi.de
Tue Jul 18 08:06:37 CEST 2006

Hi Elmar,
see context related.

Cheers

Klaus

I have used the GridBagLayout for most of my IzPanels in the past.
But - what you adumbrate - the result is a little bit beside what
I would have. Major problem is the MultiLineLabel because its width
depence on the hight and vice versa. In my prototype of a
layout manager I compute the layout two times if there are hints
that a Component will change hight if width should change.

>One day I got
>so fed up by this problem that I wrote a layout manager that
>did exactly
>what I thought GridLayout should do in the first place to be
>really useful.
>I call it TableLayout, because it produces a layout just like
>an HTML table.
>This means that components are laid out in rows and columns, just as in
>GridLayout but each row is just as tall as it needs to be and
>all columns
>are just as wide as they need to be. This means it can also be
>used as a
>FlowLayout and as a *vertical* form of FlowLayout. It would
>also be able to
>replace the ColumnLayout that I had written for the UnserInputPanel.
>
>If you think this layout could help solving your issue, or
>might be useful
>as a starting point, I would be willing to contribute it to
>the project.

It sounds like that it do just the things I need.
It will be nice if you can send it. May be to my berlios account.
Perhaps it is better as my proto type or there are good things in it
I self never can thought about.
>2) Docu
>
>No problem with that. Again, I know that a lot of folks have a
>real hurdle
>to overcome on this point. Just please care enough to send
>Fabrice the info,
>so that he can take care of it. And as I mentioned in me mail,
>I am willing
>to help with writing text as well.
>
>	Elmar

Most I trial to synchronise the XHTML docu with my changes.
If needed, I can send Fabrice a "ping", but I think normaly he
see my changes.
Only things which are related with implementing something in
IzPack ( like a layout manager) are not documented in the XHTML
docu else in the code self. This can be written in a
system manual, but the IzPack docu is a user manual, I think.

<snip>