[izpack-devel] Writing a TopLevel Registry Key...

Klaus Bartz bartzkau at gmx.net
Tue Nov 28 19:03:30 CET 2006

Hi Markus,
see context related...

Cheers

Klaus

Am 28.11.2006, 17:09 Uhr, schrieb Markus Schlegel
<markus.schlegel at pulinco.com>:

> Well, I did not knew that the HKCR is a merged view of
> HKLM/Software/Classes and HKCU/Software/Classes.
> In this case, I could simply write to HKLM/Software/Classes instead of
> HKCR ?

I think so. I think also that this will be really done if you set via HKCR.
Test it with an registry editor (e.g. regedit).
Create .aaa under HKCR (if not exist) and look under HKLM/Software/Classes
(may be after a refresh with F5). The new key is also under HKLM. There you
can add a new subkey and play vice versa. Test to create a key in the
different roots.

> Apart from that, there is  no problem for me to change the code to allow
> writing to the root, expect for some roots like HKLM. Are there other
> roots where it is not liked to create toplevel keys?

HKEY_USERS; it seems so that all old real roots are not writeable. HKCR is
view, HKCU also (its a view to HKEY_USERS\<SID of current user>)

I do not know the intention of HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG; there you can create
something in the root.