[izpack-devel] Adding XInclude support

Julien Ponge julien.ponge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:21:50 CET 2007

Hi Tino,

> So, yes, there's no namespace support and the parser is very
> lightweight. Oh, BTW: We don't use SAX or JAXP because installers should
> still run on 1.2? or 1.3 JREs.

We run on 1.4, although some panels won't work without 1.5.

> I'd go for changing NanoXML. We're not going to upgrade anyway. And if
> we do, it will be major changes.

Yep, and I would add that when we started IzPack, XML was just
starting to be all the rage. And people weren't even using JUnit and
the likes :-) So at this time you had to chose a (non-standardized)
parser and NanoXML was just great: small and esy to use. So we opted
to integrate it and we did the choice of using it even as a metamodel
for internal data that was going to be read/written from/to XML. The
result is that we are tighltly coupled with it and it is difficult
(although not impossible) to get rid of it. A few years later this is
a legacy we have to live with, but at the time it was not that a
stupid idea :-)

Cheers