[izpack-devel] Updating to latest version of NanoXML

Stefan Wachter stefan.wachter at gmx.de
Fri Jan 5 13:20:00 CET 2007

Hi all,

I wanted to include line feeds in some messages and found that the shipped version of NanoXML does
not handle character entities correctly. In particular I have the following resource

<str id="VdpTargetPanel.updatedir"
      txt="Die bestehende PolFHa-Installation wird aktualisiert.&#xa;Bitte stellen Sie sicher, dass
der PolFHa-Server gestoppt ist."/>

The resource contains a "&#xa;" character reference. According to the XML specification this
character reference is reported as the character $a to the application and should result in a "\n"
character in the corresponding Java string.

Then I updated the shipped NanoXML to the latest version (2.2.3) and viola: the line feed appeared
in the message box.

Therefore I suggest that the shipped NanoXML is updated to the latest version.

Yet, updating NanoXML needs the modification of quite lot files in IzPack because NanoXML introduced
an IXMLElement interface. Finding & replacing the various scattered reference to the XMLElement
class by references to this interface took me about half an hour.

Maybe the sources of NanoXML no longer need to be included with IzPack because the vanilla
distribution is now "good" enough? What is your opinion about this?

Cheers,
--Stefan