[izpack-devel] izPack evaluation - some questions

Glen izpack at verran.za.net
Mon May 28 11:17:06 CEST 2007

Hi folks,

I am in the process of evaluating izPack.  Here is the scenorio in which I
am going to use it and I am hoping that you'll be able to please answer some
questions for me. :)  This may sound like a tall order ... :)

We have over 150 jars that we've developed and about 80 3rd party jars.
Each module that we develop in a jar on its own. Our archietecture is
pluggable hense the large amount of jars.  What I've done is I've set up
each jar as a pack inside the install.xml file.  I've also specified each
jar's dependencies, whether they are our own developed jars or any 3rd party
jars.

#1.  I attempted to compile the install.xml, but came across a circular
dependency error.  The compilier doesn't indicate what dependency is
circular.  Is there a way to find out what dependency is circular?

When the installer runs, I query for a zip file containing jars that we've
developed specifically for a client as well as a license file.

#2.  Is there a way to dynamically without user intervention to choose packs
in IzPack to install?  The license depicts what packs must be installed, so
basically I want to interrigate the license and filter down the packs that I
don't need and only copy the packs that are licensed.  In order to do this,
I'll need to get the license from the zip file (the easy part), but I need
to know how to get the packs and filter them down before the installation
runs.

#3.  Contained within this zip file, are other client speicifc jars too.
How can I add these to the installation process? i.e. instead of IzPack
copying them from the installer jar file, they are copied from the zip file
that was specified.  I also need to copy the license file too.   Is this
possible?

These are my questions for now.  Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks a lot!
~Glen