[izpack-users] Using Compression in Packs

Bartz, Klaus Klaus.Bartz at coi.de
Thu May 4 11:39:52 CEST 2006

Hi,
last year I have implemented the compressor stuff.
At default we use the "normal" deflate compression of a jar file.
Our server installation will be compressed from ~700 MB to ~350 MB.
If nothing compresses, there is something wrong.

I have also seen at implementation time, that bzip2 is not much
better as deflate; 3 - 5 %. I do not know why. May be this is related
to the point that IzPack often used for java appls which contains
already comprest jar files.

I had played a little bit with LZMA (7zip); it was ~ 25 % better as deflate.
But up to know I have had no time to write a filter output stream
which compresses with LZMA.
The java impl of LZMA self is not filter output stream orientated.
In the current design of pack compression we cannot use the 7zip
classes. May be it will be possible to write a wrapper around the classes
which wrappes it to an filter output stream. LZMA will be sometimes
very slow (much slower as bzip2) at encoding...
If some one will do the work - to write an encoder as filter output stream
and an decoder as filter input stream using
interface com.izforge.izpack.compressor.PackCompressor
as integration wrapper - I will be very happy.

Never heard of a compression which is reproducable 60% better as deflate.
Means not only for special cases used; e.g. CCITT T.6 is better as deflate,
(can be more than 60 %) if you compress a BW image without noise, but at
halftone images CCITT T.6 will compress nothing. And an exe you cannot compress
with CCITT T.6.
Will be very nice if some one can send me the sources or a link to the
description of the (non patent) algorithm.

On the other hand, it is possible that I have made a mistake at
implementation. Please look into package com.izforge.izpack.compressor.
There are the related classes.

Cheers

Klaus