[izpack-users] Multiple ProcessPanels

miraodb miraodb at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 26 07:25:45 CEST 2006

Hi Jeff,

To be brief.....

You're right about the fact that currently you can't have multiple
ProcessPanel.
I can see many solutions to your problem depending on how skilled you are
with scripting or java...

Just liked you said, you could use the executable tag, and if having an
output is what you desire you can work this out in many ways.
First of all, are you on unix-like system or windows ?

If unix-like, i'm pretty sure that you know already that there's a bunch of
ways to do so without any main problem... you could simply use a shell
script to do so, or use gtk to have panels... and so on. (i can help for
scripting if needed)

If windows like (most likely i guess :-( ), then the first solution, a bit
ugly but easy, is to create a vbscript which will echo in a windows the
results of your scripts. Second solution is a batch file, still ugly and
less easy.......

Now, in both cases, unix or windows, you could create a java class with a
panel that runs you're statements and print them out. Then from the
installer call that class using the <executeclass> tag. See docu in under
ProcessPanel -> Execute Java Classes.

Now last but not least, the best solution i believe is to create your own
custom panel, see docu under Creating Your Own Panel. This way you can do
anyting you like as long as you know java a bit as well as IzPack project
structure.
If if you go for it and need help, anyone in here will help you out as much
as possible.

Each solution got pros and cons, depending on your patience, skills and
schedule :-) The choice is up to you !

One last thing, i'm currently working with some others guyz of the proj to
implement a skeleton that would allow everypanel to have multiple instances
(of course we'll need to put restrictions there... but whatever....). I
think that it will be ready for next release. I can promise any date yet
though.

Cheers,
Fabrice

PS: Told you, it would be brief :-)