[izpack-users] IzPack documentation: call for participations

Julien Ponge julien.ponge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 21:45:51 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

I am please to announce that the documentation has been successfuly
converted from the old HTML to Docutils
(http://docutils.sourceforge.net/).

However, the documentation is still outdated and a lot of work is
required to get it back on track.

I am thus calling for participations to enhance and fix it. In
particular, if you have worked on a new feature that has been included
but hasn't been properly documented (please check), then we urgently
need some text from you ;-)

I have exported a version of the documentation that you can download
from ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/izpack/izpack-doc-export.zip

Yet, it would be way better if you could work using Subversion and
checkout the documentation from
https://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/izpack/izpack-src/trunk/src/doc-reST/

The documentation files are simple text files that follow the Docutils
reST syntax. It is quite easy to learn and the files content should
not look too strange. I recommend reading the following pages:
- http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html
- http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html

I have included a build script (called... build.py) which generates
the HTML version and the PDF version (there is a flag to disable the
later format as it requires a LaTeX distribution). All you will need
to generate the documentation is:
- a Python installation (Docutils and the build script are written in Python)
- Docutils
- ...a text editor.

If you don't plan building the documentation (or you don't want to
install Python), then you can still work directly on the text files.

We will probably need a bit of coordination, so I suggest that:
- people specify what they intend to change on the izpack-devel mailing-list
- people agree to coordinate when willing to work on the same files
- non-developers send me patches (svn diff would be just perfect).

I hope many of you will join us to help! (don't be shy, you don't need
to have sent a patch before!)

--
Julien